Thursday, February 27, 2014

Chibi Cats

For sale at a special price at Cat Cafe Neko no Niwa :3
I've been working part-time at the newly-opened cat cafe in town, Cat Cafe Neko no Niwa, earning some extra cash while waiting impatiently for my gap year travels to begin. It's so fun working in cat heaven, what with all the cute antics the cats get up to and getting to really know the cats' personalities. So I got inspired and decided to crochet chibi versions of the cats in the cafe and it's been very well-received, far exceeding my expectations. (Note: the dream catchers are not by me but by a talented colleague)

Initial versions of the cats
A comparison - looks quite a bit like Monkey doesn't it? (^_^) Monkey is one of the 13 adorable cats at the Cat Cafe Neko no Niwa
A lovely law school senior contacted me on Instagram and ordered two chibi cat keychains, in white and brown. This was a shot taken by her after she received it :3
Maneki neko (招き猫) is literally translated as beckoning cat (or 招财猫 in Chinese) and is a symbol of wealth and good fortune. You'll tend to spot one sitting at the cashier counter of shops and restaurants, in Singapore at least.
Also made some maneki neko keychains for sale during during the Lunar New Year. I must say that I got my inspiration from the free amigurumi pattern by Nimoe, Onni the Beckoning Cat. However I decided to create my own, 'cause I wanted it to be chibi (with a bigger head) like my chibi cats series, so this was how it turned out.

Maneki neko v2 - baby fortune cat
A childhood friend I hadn't spoken to in years contacted me on Instagram to order a maneki neko keychain, and after some chatting she said that she liked the shape of the chibi cat, but wanted a fortune cat. So I told her I could combine the two and make a chibi fortune cat. And this was how it turned out. I liked it so much I made another one for myself~

Wishing everyone a good year ahead~

2 comments:

  1. Hi, your cat creations are very cute! I'm learning to crochet, and I'll like to know if I have to put plastic pellets at the bottom if I do mine as a keychain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Sorry for the late reply! I don't think it's necessary to put plastic pellets at the bottom if it's a keychain. I don't at least. Plastic pellets are usually for when you want a stuffed toy to stand/sit and you need the weight of the pellets to weigh them down in that position. Hope this helps and good luck with crochet! You'll get addicted haha

      Delete